4 Weeks Before Moving
- Before your moving estimate, decide which items you’ll pack and which you’d like CMS Atlas to pack. We can provide the finest packing materials at reasonable prices.
- Tour your house and decide which items should be discarded or donated to charity.
- Consider a moving sale.
- Call doctors and dentists. They may recommend a colleague near your new home. Get copies of renewable prescriptions and request medical and dental records.
- Arrange transfer of school records.
- Transfer personal insurance records.
- Check homeowners’ insurance policies to see if moving is covered. Be sure your new home is protected by transferring fire, theft and other personal property insurance.
- If moving from an apartment, notify landlord and request apartment deposit back.
- If you have any plants to move, begin preparing them for the move.
3 Weeks Before Moving
- Plan to use most of your food before the move. Perishables cannot be transported.
- Check and clear tax assessments.
- Arrange to have major appliances serviced before you move them. If your move is company paid, check with your move coordinator first.
- We are unable to transport aerosols, flammables, ammunition or bottled gas. It’s best to use them or give them away before you move.
- Request pet’s records from the veterinarian.
- Make your travel reservations for the trip.
- Notify the Post Office and pick up change of address forms. Notify magazines to which you subscribe.
1 Week Before Moving
- Set aside maps, games, snacks, flashlight and other items you’ll take in your car.
- Gather medicines and important papers for car trip.
- Your local service provider can help you with phone, internet, cable or satellite service for your new home.
- Start packing suitcases.
- Get name, address and phone number of your Atlas Destination Agent.
- Drain gasoline and oil from small gasoline powered equipment.
- Drain water from all garden hoses.
- Anything the movers are packing should be left in it’s place. It’s easier and safer, for example, to pack glassware right from the cabinet where it’s stored.
1 Day Before Moving
- Put non-combustible cleaning supplies, toiletries and other items you may need first in special boxes to be loaded last, unloaded first.
- Finish packing all suitcases.
- Defrost, clean and dry refrigerator and chest freezer.
- Update current contact information for friends and local businesses.
- Remember to give the van operator your signed Customer Responsibility/High Value Inventory Form. Be on hand to answer questions and sign the Bill of Landing. Confirm your delivery date, new address and the phone number where you can be reached.
- Leave “Welcome to Your New Home” in a conspicuous place.
- Make final check of every room and storage area. Make sure windows and doors are locked, keys are transferred and the lights are out.
It’s a good idea to be at your new home a day ahead of the van so you can make sure utilities are connected and plan placement of major items in your home.
People to be Notified
- Post Office
- Insurance Companies (Life, Homeowners, Health, Auto)
- Local credit bureau and creditors (stores, credit cards, etc.)
- Financial institutions where you have savings, loans, checking accounts or stock
- Clubs or associations
- Internal Revenue Service and other government agencies
- Gas or Fuel Oil
- Lawn Care Service
- Cable/Satellite TV
Items to Take in Your Car
- First Aid Kit
- Prescription Drugs
- Credit Cards
- Cash or Travelers Checks
- Emergency Road Equipment
- Cell Phone Charger